Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Academic insecurity?

I was fooled! No seriously, I was fooled.  See, I thought that simply because I was taking a Masters' level class that would count towards my doctoral credits that the class would be sort of simple! I was WRONG!!!! First, not having a formal background in the field of education means that I have to stay up to date on the background knowledge in the field while I read in order to at least make it seem as if I know what I am talking about.  On top of that, I am in an accelerated course, which means in four weeks, my twenty page paper is due.  By next Saturday my take home is due (which I mistakenly thought was due this Saturday), and by the following Saturday my observation assignment is due, which took forever to decide what I would do.  In addition, every time I post a response only one person responds to my post, and I am required to respond to at least two responses.

I continuously feel as if I am behind and that my work is incomprehensible since no one responds.  I don't know if my feelings are coming from academic/intellectual insecurities, unpreparedness, or both. Well, whatever it is... some changes are in order.  Anyhow, today I will be staying up until around 2 a.m. in order to play catch up, but this is the life I elected to live.

Later Gators;)

1 comment:

  1. Just breathe, Just breathe, Just breathe!!!!
    Yes it's true you do need to familiarize yourself with Education theory. Read Jonathon Kozol, Howard Gardner and remember bell hooks does a lot with education and so does Butler. You don't have to think so differently, you know as much if not more than everyone else. You just have to marry your existing theory and the concepts of education, learning and pedagogy. You will realize they aren't different at all. Just remind yourself, how do I learn? What inspired me to learn? If you ask yourself these questions you will realize "hey I am an Education theorist." Besides, all of it is pedagogy no matter what field your in. Because you have to learn it, understand it before you can discuss it...So, just relax, do your part and everything else will follow. It's because you and your instructor have extremely high expectations for your output. Remember, you did not get this far for nothing or through osmosis...

    ReplyDelete